Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Busy Day

Today was a productive for the most part.  It had a down moment but I quickly got over that due to the excitement (good and bad excitement) that I knew was in store later on today.  

I coordinate a tutoring program, and my next tutoring session is Wednesday.  I'm expecting great than 60 kids and 60 tutors (Saturdays have even more).  I had to check lesson plans, organize the manipulatives, arrange substitutes, work on student progress reports and call parents to remind them to bring their kids.  It's always interesting, because some of my parents don't speak English so I have to do my best to NOT butcher what little Spanish I do know.  I'll be glad when 7 pm this evening hits!  Then I can start thinking about Saturday morning tutoring w00t!

BTW if you are interested in being a volunteer tutor, please let me know ... all my kids are great and it's fun.

After work I hopped on the S2 bus to K St. NW.  I went to the DC Rape Crisis Center to volunteer with their year end mailer, it's one of their main fundraisers and I was filling out cards and envelopes for people that have a history of donating well over $300.  It's really good work that they do, they have a 24 hr hot-line to counsel rape victims current and even people that were victimized in the past that are just now seeking counseling.  They also go directly to hospitals to provide counseling on site.  If you have some extra dollars laying around please donate.

After I left the Crisis Center, I caught the red line back to Woodley where I picked up my car to go visit a friend that was hit by a car yesterday.  He seemed to be in good spirits didn't have any obvious injuries, however he has internal bruising ... OUCH!  We hung out and watched Family Guy and then end of this Christmas movie that I now must catch the beginning of.

So today was full and I'm glad, it took my mind off of some other things that I really didn't want to spend a lot of time thinking about!

One thing today that I didn't really care for and I need to mention this while it's fresh on my mind.  Why do some media outlets censor direct quotes?  This hockey player made a lewd statement about two his former girlfriends to some sports media and Yahoo! edited the offensive phrase out.   Why censor? How is anyone supposed to learn when you do that?

No comments: