Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Search Is On Going ...

I moved to Washington D.C. on September 11 2008. The move was relatively random; back in May I was eating lunch and smoking Hookah with two of my coworkers, and one of them, Ernesto, suggested that we move to D.C. and get government jobs. So I spent the next few months looking for jobs, I would travel to the DC metro area frequently for job interviews and fairs with little success. This attempt to move was by far the most humbling experience of my life. I had to keep telling myself that it will happen and that I just need to be patient.

Patience was tough for me however, I hated my job, was living with my parents and was having a lot of man troubles. I just needed to get out of this mess. In college I saw myself being in a much different place in life that I actually was, and because of it I was miserable. I felt like a total failure and that I'm doomed to mediocrity for a good long while.

Fortune favored me one day because I finally was offered a job ... only one catch, I'd be bringing in 30k before taxes. That's a $10K pay cut and more bills and more living expenses. I took the job, I couldn't stand my current job any longer and I'd rather take a pay cut than to continue to be miserable. I packed up my stuff and I drove up to D.C. with out a place to live. Only thing I had were my clothes, a new job and my car.

I was able to find a place on Craig's List, so I was only homeless for a day and I had a friend that let me sleep on his couch for the one night. So now I live in the Woodley Park/Adams Morgan area and I'm enjoying it. Things are being handed to me on a platter up here yet I'm the happiest I've been since my junior year at ODU.

I'm in DC looking for something ... what it is I'm not really sure. I know that I know it when I see it though.

On another note, tonight I'm volunteering at the DC Rape Crisis Center ... nothing too heavy, just helping them by stuffing and labeling envelopes. I'll update on how that goes sometime before Friday.

2 comments:

Tanya said...

I'll keep my ears opened for ya and see if any of my friends know of anything opened up there!

Unknown said...

Yay to life & living!